The Borlin Cemetery EST. 1852
The Borlin cemetery
The Borlin Cemetery History
In 1879 Henry and Mary (Agnus) Borlin purchased 80 acres of farmland and 26 acres of timberland in Woodville Township, Greene County, Illinois. The farm was located at Latitude 39.222196 and Longitude 90.497561. The plot is 2.8 miles south of Carrollton, Illinois.
The farm was very successful, both in terms of crop production and livestock production. Henry’s father, Jacob Borlin, lived on the farm until 18 May 1896 and would have been able to see all of Henry and Mary’s children born, passing at the age of 82. Jacob was buried in the pasture south of the farmhouse (the highest elevation in Greene County).
This area would eventually be donated to create a public cemetery, known to the present day as the Borlin Cemetery
A copy of a painting of the Borlin Farm about 1890. An unknown traveling artist is most likely responsible for the original framed picture. The road passing in front of the house and curving into the barn lot is currently part of County Road 17.
The Borlin Cemetery Today
Today the Borlin Cemetery is lovingly managed and maintained by a Board and numerous local volunteers. They have a small Facebook Page to which they update news and events. They also take any donations to which would go to the upkeep of the cemetery.
Directions: To reach this location: Starting from the Carrollton, Illinois town square, drive south on Fifth Street (US-67) for 2.8 miles. Turn right on road 1000N (County Road-20). Go west 5.1 miles to road 700E (CR 19). Turn left and proceed south for 3.1 miles to road 750N (CR 17). Veer to the right onto CR-17 and proceed 0.6 mile until the road makes a left-hand curve. Continue 0.2 mile and then make a right turn (remaining on CR-17). Continue west for 0.2 mile and the road then makes another left bend. The house at this corner stands on the spot where the original Borlin farmhouse used to stand. The Borlin Cemetery is just beyond the house on the left.