Part 4 - Hunter Field

January 17th 1944 to February 29, 1944

Travel notes written on letter:

Arrived in Quincy Monday,  January 10, 1944 at noon
Returned to Savannah Saturday morning, January 15, 1944 at 7AM
Reported back to Savannah January 16, 1944 at midnight

12:45 Noon - Well I am at the train depot now.  Train pulls out at 2:10PM.  So I guess I will get out of here ok.  I slept a bit on the bus but not much.  I guess I will get more on the train.  I am going to try to find a place to mail this now.  So if I get time at Nashville I will drop you another card.

I am still on the way and it looks like I will make the bus ok.  We got here 7:10PM and leaving 9:10 PM.  We got right on to Atlanta.  Support to hit there at 8:40 AM.  So everything should be ok on time.  I got a little more sleep.  We had a nice meal at the canteen here and music.  

January 17, 1944

Dearest Folks:

Well I am feeling fine and sure hope the same for all at home.  I got back OK but 1 1/2 hours late.  But made it ok.  Will write more tonight so for now with loads of love.  Wes

PS - We are taking basic training over again.  I sure hate to start writing again.  

7:30 PM

Here it is Monday evening and everything is still going ok.  I got all the mail from here and I got 2 letters from V and the rest from you and the box of candy.  I got the picture of V today too.

I received a letter from Carl today.  He didn't have much to say except that it was his second Xmas and he was hoping that the next one would be in the states anyhow.  

Well I got in Atlanta 3 hours late yesterday and we were just lucky to get the 1PM bus. We hit the bus depot just as the bus was ready to leave.  But we didn't hear anything from it because we got inside of the gate ok by pulling a fast on on the MP.  

The weather down here isn't so warm either.  We got to take basic training all over again.  

Here is one thing I hate to tell you but we got our shipping orders again.  It is for the first of the month.  I don't know if they will go through or not.  We will just have to wait and see.  you know I told you about them kids leaving for furlough.  Well anybody that was supposed to go and had money to go could go so Kensinger didn't get any money.  Because he left Monday.  So I really don't know where and when.  All I heard we were heading for Oakland, California.  I can't say for sure but that is what I heard.  Then I heard we were getting knife issued to us now.  So maybe I will send the other one home.  Have to wait and see really what does happen.   They say we are handing in our one suit of OD and blouse.  

I sure was sorry to hear about honey boy falling down stairs.  I am surprised at M leaving the farm.  

I went over to the neighbor and out to Grandpa.  I got out there about 6:55PM I stayed about 10 minutes then I had to go on of course as you know I had to pick her up at 7:15 PM.  I did so some pretty fast traveling.  But I made it.  

The way I hear we are getting some more shots.  We get 5 more shots.  The kind they are I will tell you later.  I don't know what kind they are.  All I know we got to take some.  I will tell you tomorrow what kind they are.  

I don't know what to say about being at home.  Do you think I spent enough time home for you.  That time sure did fly for me.  

I don't know much more to say for now because I want to go to bed early so I will close for now and will write more tomorrow because I won't be so tired.  Listen I don't want you to worry because it isn't here yet.  

So for tonight I will end with loads of love from Savannah, Georgia.  

Here it is 6:45 AM and we just had roll call now I am ready to slean up.  It sure was hard to get up this morning and I don't mean maybe.  

January 18, 1944 @ 7 PM

Here it is another day has passed and I am feeling fine and sure hope the same for everyone at home.

On Ted hurting that fender don't leave him worry about that because I believe the same as you do.  It can happen to anybody.  If you can pay for it that is the main thing.  But if you do have it fixed I sure hope to get another good job on it like the side was.  Because I thought that was a good job.  I hated to hear about it but it can happen to anybody.

Tomorrow morning I am getting up at 4:30 and the whole sqd is going out to the range.  I don't know what time we will get back.  It probably will be a bit late. 

I guess our letters will be censor with the lecture they gave us this afternoon.  So if any of mine is opened you know why.  

My legs and arms muscles are sure sore from the exercises now.  I haven't taken them for awhile and I sure feel it now.  We had a good workout (exercises) this morning.  

I am sending a sheet of paper that you can keep which shows about 1 year good conduct.  It doesn't mean much so just don't think anything of it.  The reason I haven't had it before this is on account of my service records being lost.  

January 19, 1944 @ 7:15 PM

This morning we went out and drilled all morning.  Then this afternoon we went and had a sqd meeting.  Then we were given 2 new pairs of shoes and a couple suit of overalls.  The Captian siad our rady date would be the first.  Then he didn't know how much longer we would be here.  It all depends.  We may stay here another month and may go within a week.  We will ahve to wait and see for sure.  All I can tell you now is that I will call you up some time later on.  But to believe that we will go across I got to be on the boat for a week.  The sqd that left coupel weeks ago is out loading ship for oversea.  So you can't say I am going over until I am really gone.  But don't worry.  I believe we are getting knifes and suntan glasses.  So I don't think we will hit any jungle becuase we must be going somewhere where there is alot of sun.  I don't think we will get any exitment because our old captain which is about 50 or 60 is going.  But listen one thing I want to say again is don't worry.  I will keep you posted of anything I hear and will tell you.  They say we can take one pair of slipper with us so I guess I am taking mine with me.  Because nobody can wear them at home.  

I was mentioning about them shots I got to take.  The kinds I take now are typhus, choloera.  I think it is for some souther fever.  They clam they hurt a little but I can't tell you for sure until I get them.  I get 2 typhus and 3 cholera.  

Here is a trip ticket that I though I would send home to show daddy how much a driver got to do to his outfit before he take it and during the time he got it. 

January 21, 1944

I was planning on writing last night but it was fairly late.  So I though I will drop you a few lines now and finish out with a better letter tonight.  

We got in last night about 8:30 PM and then we had to clean our gun and then eat.  This morning it sure was hard to get up and I don't mean maybe.  Then we had our shots.  I didn't even know I was shot.  They still don't hurt but maybe tonight or in the morning  I will really feel it.  

8:50 PM - Here I am again and feel better than I expected tonight.  My left arm hurt a little but not that much.  My right arm doesn't hurt at all.  But it may be different in the morning.  I will leave you know if I feel any worse so don't worry.

This afternoon we went and listened to a lecture.  He talked about the prisoner of war.  You know he told me one thing.  Today that I really didn't pay no attention to it and I did a lot of talking about it and daddy did too.  So I thought I would mention it to you and see what you think.  You know all the prisoner we have on this side.  We always said why don't we go and ill them off and keep from the trouble with them.  This officer said there is a bill passed around to all nations and all are treated about the same.  If we didn't have any on this side then they could do anything to our men and we wouldn't have any on this side to do the same.  He said they know everybody inside one of those camp and everything they wear and eat.  But really if they would treat our men tough wen we could do a little worse.  He said the German people are worried more abour their men on this side then this country.  And the answe we always send back is we are treating the best and want the same for ours.  This is kind of nonsense to write about but common sense will tell you it is the truth.  

I am sorry to hear T is gone but there is nothing a person can do.

I went to a show tonight.  We didnt' ahve to GI tonight but we do have an inspection tomorrow.  

I bought a book of Hunter Field and I wlll send it home to you tomorrow.  It is fairly interesting. 
there was about 15 guys went home on 5 days furlough today.  That was not very long but still gets away from here for 5 days.  

I guess that you will be on the way for Chicago before long now.  I sure hope you enjoy your trip and everything goes good.  

7:25 AM  - Well here it is Saturday morning ready for inspection.  I really feel good and my left arm hurt a very little.  The right one I don't even know I had a shot in it.  

January 23, 1944 @ 5:10 PM

Here it is Sunday evening and I am still feeling fine.  The way I have written lately is getting kind of poor.  But maybe I will get back on the beam this next week.  But I don't want to be too sure because the way the bulletin board looks we have a good week ahead of us.  Wed morning we take our tent and pack and we are going out for the night.  We are sleeping at the fence line and setting gup our lighting equipment and then Thursday morn we are loading up and asking a small walk  It may be a couple miles and may only a few blocks.  The only thing is waiting and see

Then Friday morning I am going to get some more shots.  Well if they don't hurt me any worse than the last ones I sue won't be hurt about them.  Because I don't believe they even poke anything into my right arm.  But maybe the next ones will be worse.  

Yesterday we got up and had inspection by the bed then we went out side and had inspection in rank.  It past off good.  The way I hear anyone.  Then they gave us our knives.  So I haven't decided yet really what to do.  But I think I will keep the other one until later.  Then we were off the rest of the day.  In the afternoon I went over and cleaned my gun.  I had to clean it when we came back from the range but after you shoot a gun should clean it three day straight afterwards.  So I spent a few minutes there.  Then I decided to go to the show.  It was a double feature.  It sure was a good show.  It was a comedy picture.  Then I went to a basketball game last night that was between Coast Guard and Hunter Field.  The Coast Guard had a good team and beat us 40 to 47.  But it was good anyhow.  That is the first one I seen for a long time.  But it was something different and was the evening gone and it wasn't the dead barracks.  I would have went to town but on Sat. night the town is all full of GI and half of the stores are closed and the street we use are half dark.  So I just stayed here.  Couple of the guys that sleep next to me wanted me to go but I just didn't go.

This morning for some reason nobody woke us up and it was 10:30 before anybody got up.  Then I made up my bed and went down and cleaned up.  Somebody during the morning while I was sleeping put powder on my hair.  So when I woke up I smelled this powder and then I seen it on my pillow.  So I had to get that out of my hair.  That is just another thing we do when somebody is sleeping and you should see the faces a person makes when you put it on his face while he is sleeping.  So I never said anything because I thought somebody would slip with a word.  So then somebody mentioned how white my hair was so then that cooked his goose.  So this afternoon before I went to the show again this guy was sleeping so I sure dumped the powder on his hair and face.  He is gone so I don't know what he said when he woke up.  

Got a card from Ted and he mention about his first shot.  But it won't pay for me to write to him because he soon will be moved.  I do hope that today you are having a nice time with V & T.  

With that basic training there is nothing else to do so they think that will pass our time away (and how).  All a person does is go out in the drill field and march and march.  

I got that picture you sent of T with the group.  He is about the tallest and looks the youngest of the group.  The 13-A shoes are not no small ones.  I bet he covers the ground.  I always told him he would get the shots so fast he wouldn't know he had it.  There is only one of them that you know when you get it and that is typhus shot.  But they are nothing to worry about.  I think nothing of them anymore.  

I believe I will hit California as I always said I would.  I am not out there by a long way yet.  I wrote Bill today and said to keep an eye open for me if there was any air corp guy hit his place.  If I would go it would be a good chance to hit where he is at.  Them OD we turned in is because we don't use them.  That was our order.  We haven't done it yet.  It probably is just a rumor but w & s.  But if we do you know we are heading south.  All our clothes we take with us will be in a duffle bag.  They don't pack any clothes like that for us.  

Kensinger got his ten ok but he didn't get it before he went home on his furlough.  But when he came back he said he didn't need it so I guess it was ok.  See he went home Monday noon and I didn't get home until then.

On the pay roll this month I didn't sign but the way I heard was that somebody signed for me.  So if sombody signed for me that means I will get paid the first.  If I don't I will get paid the tenth.  I might wire for some money becuase some wife gave a watch to a guy when he was at home on furlough and he is hard up for money.  

Tomorow I am going in and make out an allotment to send home.  It won't be taken out of this pay but the next one.  So one thing it will come to you straight and not take six months to get home.  

I am sending that Hunter Field book too tonight.  I sure wish you had a nice trip out of it and was able to see V and T both.  

January 25, 1944 @ 9:15 PM

I was going to write last night but a guy came over and we talk and spread the bull and then I went over and got some ice cream and when I was finished I went to bed.  I worked on some crating of our stuff.  Today I done a little painting.  

I got the letter you mailed coming back this morning and this afternoon I got a letter daddy wrote when you was gone.  I was kind of surprised to see it in another way I thought he may drop a few lines.  But he wrote a good letter.  I can't say how long he wrote but still I was satisfied.  

Tomorrow I believe we will go out on the range that is at the end of the field.  It is just a small range.  I think I will go in the morning.  In the afternoon I think we will get some new clothes.  Tell you later.  I made out some APO cards and I am turning them in.  So when you get them don't think that the government is sending them to you.  I only wrote them out because I thought you would be able to get my number sooner.  Because I think they will mail them out when we leave here.  

In your letter I was glad to hear that you was getting along good and enjoying your trip.  Did you break your neck looking at the buildings?  In daddy letter he mentioned about T moving so I guess you was not able to see him.  Weill I am anxious to see where he lands up at.  

January 26, 1944 @ 9 PM

Today I didn't do much.  I received a card from Ted at noon and he mailed it yesterday so we get 1 day service on mail.  I wrote him a letter back right away today and I believe I will go Sunday if I can get a over night pass.  I can't say for sure but if I do get a chance I will go to Macon to see what T has there.  It is really a poor town because there is too many soldiers in that town.  About 5 camps are next to the town.  It isn't that large of a town either.  So you will hear what that part of the country is like.  He has 17 weeks of hell to go through.  But if I was him I would try to get out.  He won't be able to get in the air corps because he is not in first class shape.  I told him if he didn't feel good don't be afraid to go on sick call.  They might try and tell him nothing is wrong with him at first but he will have to just keep on going.  But I am going to try to see him if I can.  The weather now is starting to rain so I am hoping it is nice for Sat and Sunday.

Them guys that got 5 days didn't have 7 days.  They are the ones that stayed here while we were home.  

January 28, 1944 @ 7:40 PM

Here I am again this Friday evening.  I got 2 shots this morning again and this time they hurt a little.  But by morning I believe I won't even feel it.  In the morning we are having another inspection on our clothing.  The way I hear we will have one more and that will be the last one.  We sure had our share of the inspections.  

This evening I got your 26th and 25th letters.  In the one of the 25th you told all about your trip.  Well I sure am glad you had a nice trip and that you enjoyed it.  I does a person good to see the big towns and different things.  I will tell you one thing if I had known how traveling was I sure would have seen the country couple years ago and I don't mean maybe.  You mention about them trying to put V in submarine work.  Well I don't blame him at all for not going in it but you sure do get some real money out of that.  That is better than flying pay.  Really good money but that isn't the only thing in the navy.   I just hope he get something he really likes.  

With T now and V and me you should get a pretty good idea of the forces of the USA.  You mention about V being home about the 3rd of Feb on leave.  I will leave you know later but I will call you up some night in that time before we pull out.  But I don't think I'll talk 20 minutes because you will really have a bill.

I made out an allotment yesterday and if you get a new truck daddy can use that monthly check on one.  

You mention about fixing T shoes.  Well $1.75 is not so bad yet because we pay $2.50 for it down here.

I am still planning on going up to Macon tomorrow night if I can get a pass.  I would like to see him again before I leave here.  The town where he is close to is sure poor.  It is a small town and there is not much to come to town for.  I sure hope you don't have to go down there because you sure wouldn't enjoy that part of the country.  

On the difference in them shots I just don't know.  I can't tell you because I don't know.  There is something or else we would not be getting them.  

There is nobody working on the line anymore.  Because we are only brushing up on different things now such as speeches, etc.  But I think our date will be a week or so after the first of the month.  But I do know we will get off of this first air force field.  Because we are in the third air force.  

Monday night we are having another sqd party so I guess I will go.  We rented a place in town so I hope it turns out better.  The WAAC were invited this time so I can't tell you yet how weverything is going to come out.  

The weather tonight is sure nice.  It seems like a spring evening.  Nice and cool and really makes a guy feel good.  

February 1, 1944

I guess you got the couple cards I wrote to you from Macon.  You got to read the right one first.  

I don't want to say much more now but just to leave you know I am feeling fine.  

I got back to Camp Sunday night about 9:30 PM and I was really tired from the trip.  Then yesterday we went and had our sqd party.  We really started out a good night but couple of the guy got drunk and he busted a wall down so at 10:30 they kicked everybody out.  Then everybody was mad.  I will write and tell you more about the trip tonight.  

8:40 PM

Tonight I wanted to start this before this but I came back from supper and laid down and went to sleep and just woke up.  So I was a bit hungry so I just went and got a coke and a pint of ice cream.  Now I am a bit cool

I got to write T yet tonight because I got 5 from him to get back to camp Sunday and I haven't sent it back to him yet.  But I am going to get it off tonight before I lose it in a card game.  Ha Ha.

Sunday I got up there at 4:45 AM and left here at 10:45 PM.  I took in 2 picture shows before I went to the bus station.  Then iI went out to camp at 7 AM.  The just got up when I hit there at 7:30.  Then the CO went and got T about 8 for me.  Then we went to the barrack.  We stayed in the barrack and then at 10:45 we went to the wagon wheel.  When I was in the barrack them rookies they talk and ask a bunch of crazy questions.  But I really got a kick out of it.  I hope you got the picture by now.  They are not so good but I guess you can make them out.  

I left them at 12:30 noon (Macon) we got out on the highway and we burned out a clutch in the bus.  It was fixed and then came on in.  I got in here about 8 PM.  I sure was tired and I don't mean maybe.  Then yesterday we went and worked around there and then at 6 PM we went to the sqd party.  We only had the WAAC this time.  WE had a fairly good bunch there.  But them couple guys got drunk and that finished it.  Well we came back at 11 PM and then everybody was mad.  So they talked about a good hour and finally went to sleep.  

In the letter that you wrote Sun. I was kind of suprised to hear that V was home.  I see he get more than 9 days.  So really that is a 15 day leave.  Taht isn't bad at all.  Well I sure hope he has good time and don't spend the whole time in one place.  That picture of him is sure good.  It sure would be nice if he could go back and start working at a place and draw some extra money and will take his mind off the service.  

Everything is still going on and I guess we will really move from here now.  Our stuff is leaving in a day or so.  I won't leave the country before the next month.  I'd say it takes 2 weeks for our things to go freight.  So I thought this would give you and idea just about when we would leave.  I guess if we do go I won't be able to write more a week becuase it will take us a week to get out there.  But listen don't worry about me.  I will write when ever I get time.  

Well I am in the big town of Macon, GA.  It is 12:10 noon and I am leaving at 12:30 for home.  I arrive here at 4:45 AM this morning and I went and ate and went out to camp at 7:00 AM.  The camp is sure a large one and I don't believe I would care much about beting there.  But what can Ted do.  They live in fairly good barracks.  He looks good.  We had our picute taken.  He is sending them to you.  The ones with the hats on didn't turn out so good.  But it is a picture of us two.  I think you can recognize us anyhow.  I got 5 from him to get back to camp.  I am writing in the bus station.  Load of love Wes.

February 2, 1944 @ 8:10 PM

Here it is Wed. evening.  Today was just another day but I am a bit tired tonight.  This morning I got up and it was a bit cool out and foggy.  We went out and drilled a few minute (1 hr)  Then we came in and listened to a lecture on sanitation.  They hate to see us lay around so anything they can think of they make us listen to it.  

After dinner I was on the loading crew and we loaded our flat car and box car up of our stuff.  We got finished about 5:30 PM.  We had 5 bomb trucks and 10 bomb trailers.  Then we had 3 bomb buster trailer.  They are real low to the ground.  It is the hardest work I done for a long time.  The guy that didn't work on that had to go on a march with field packs.  I hear they went about 7 miles.  So I don't know which was the worse.  

You mention about making a garage out of that tank.  I don't think much of the idea but you know best on that end.  You mention about Ted course is now from 17 to 22 weeks.  Maybe that will make it a bit easier.  You mention about T saying the V and I mention he would get a good break.  He will have to take this basic training regardless what happens.  Because that is one thing you got to have.  I was glad to get to see Ted and I tried to tell him all I could.  I didn't have that much time but if we are still here this weekend I believe I will try and go there again.  But I don't think they will leave anybody out this week.  

February 3, 1944 @ 7:45 PM

This is Thursday evening and I am still feeling fine.  Today we went out and drilled again.  Then at 9  we came in again and listened to a lecture.  This afternoon it started to rain so we had to go to another lecture.

The mental doctor gave us another talk on first aid.  We came back about 3 o'clock so another kid and i went over to the PX and bought some stuff.  I got 10 packages of razor blades.  That should last me for some time anyhow.  I bought a couple bars of soap and some shaving cream.  The way the Captain said and discussed the idea with going oversea was really interesting.  He mentioned about we were one of the last sqd to go over.  He claim they all go over as replacement now.  After they go in they are sent over as replacements.  With me I was put in a sqd and got my training.  But now you go and take your basic then sent across.  I think we will land up in a fairly good place.  It is hard telling but I think we will.  The Captain talk and the way they are emptying the fields out anybody that can pass on oversea exam will be sent across.  

Today they issued us some AM spec. medal.  I am going to send it home because I am not taking it across with me.  It is the armor medal.  It has air force armor on it.  I don't know how the weather will be in the morning but it is still raining.  I guess that means more lectures.  

7AM Friday.  The weather is really nice out this morning.  This morning I get my last shot.  

February 4, 1944 @ 6:25 PM

To start this out I will start it out with this morning.  It was sure nice this morning and of course we went out and drilled again.  Then at 9 AM we went and had another shot.  The one hurt the worse of any I have ever taken.  It lasted for only about a half hour then it was all over.  But it sure hurt at first.  Then I came back and we had a salvage of underware and socks.  So I washed out a pair of shorts and took them in the boiler room and put them on the pipes.  It dried in about 10 minutes.  So then I came up and looked through all my socks and I found one pair of sun tan socks that had small holes in the heel.  I made them a bit bigger.  So I hunted a fast one and I am now getting a new pair of wool and suntan and a pair of shorts.  I will then be good and set on my stuff.  I am taking all the socks with me.  

This afternoon we went out and drilled again.  That is about all we can do to pass the time away.  We came back at 2 PM and then they told us that we had to GI the barrack and could have the rest of the day off.  Well we GI the barrack then at 4:30 PM we had to fall out for drill with our class A uniform on and then stand retreat.  It sure made us mad but what can a person do.  All I can say it is chicken sh--.  Then tonight I went and being it is Friday I ate at the service club.  I bought a steak with pie mil and salad.  It cost me 65 cents.  It wasn't so bad.

I believe I will quit and get in a small card game.  I got to sew some stripes on a shirt before tomorrow.  My blouse is the only thing that I have a stripe on.  

8PM - I went and played a few cards.  I lost a few pennies.  We only had a 5 cent black jack game.  I came out 35 cents loser in case you want to know.  I want to go down and take a shower but the water is cold and it won't be warm for another 15 minutes so I decided to write again.  

In the morning we are going to have another big inspection.  In the barrack and then we go out side and have an inspection in rank.  I don't know but I may take out for Macon again if I can get a pass for Sat and Sun night.  You will have to wait for the next letter to see for sure.  I don't think we will be able to on account of we are getting closer every day to our shipping date.  If I can get a pass for Sun night I can come back Sun night late and then come in camp Monday morning early.  It will give me a lot more time to stay there.  Then I can see how Ted made out the first week of his basic.  I haven't heard from him at all yet so I guess he feel pretty tired.  But he has a reason too.  

You ask me in the letter how I travel.  Well I think I told you in the next letter that I rode the bus.  Macon is about 185 miles and a fairly good ride.  

Tell daddy to get busy on that garage right away and get it fixed.  I hope he can get it put together ok.  I was wondering how you was going to hold the metal together.  That is one thing you always needed and that should be plenty fire proof and I hope it comes out as good as it sounds.

That is kind of nice of V being home now to fix the Plymouth.  It is wrecking his leave but still it will have the car fixed now.  V and Kenny is fairly close and that way V really is lucky to have some one to help.  

Here it is Sat. afternoon 1:25 PM and I am feeling fine.  I got a pass to Monday morning 7 AM.  So I am heading up again to see Ted.  It is really nice here today.  

February 7, 1944

Here I am this Monday evening and feeling fine.  Yesterday at the bus depot I was going to finish your letter but I had to end it in a hurry and save myself a dollar and get out.  We order this KC steak with tomatoes and French fried potatoes and lettuce.  Well the steak came $1.50 and a plate.  Then we had milk which cost us 6 cents a glass.  When the waiter came with the stuff I gave her a 25 cent tip (color woman) and I guess she got excited over it.  She started adding it up and said $1.50 and $1.50 was 2 bucks.  Then 6 cents a glass and 2 glasses made 12 cents.  Total of $2.12.  Well I wasn't going to say anything and I was writing your letter on the table so i told Ted not to say anything and we ate and went on out.  That steak was really ok.  It was about an inch thick.  Ted will probably tell you more about it.  I hope you get what I mean by it.  

I didn't feel like much walking around so I and Ted just stayed around in the waiting room at the bus station and talk.  We came to town at noon.  Then I went to see what time I had to get on a but to get back.  Well every other person I asked had a different answer.  They said I could get a bus at 4 PM and get in at 10:30 PM.  Another told me I would get in at 1:30 AM.  When I left Atlanta Georgia from my furloug I hit Macon at 4 and didn't get in here till 1:30.  S oI didn't know what to day.  The next bus was at 8 PM and I woulgd get in at 6 AM in the morning (Monday).  Well my pass was only good till 7 AM.  So I finally decided to leave at 4 PM and that way I would be able to get a little sleep anyhow and Ted could go back to camp and be able to get a good nights start (sleep) for the morning again.  Well anyhow we hit Savannah at 10:30 PM last night and I was in camp at 11 PM.  That gave me a fairly good night sleep and I  felt fairly good this morning and I hope Ted felt the same way.  So I left Ted at the bus.  We were together for over 8 hours so I thought that was fairly well.  But Ted still looks good yet.  It has not got him down yet.  I told him I wasn't coming up this week end unless he wanted me to.  So if he write and tell me to come I will have to see how everything is on this end.  But this next week I believe I will catch up on my sack time.  Don't you think that is enough on that subject.  To top it all off I had a nice trip again and still feeling fine.  I wish I was that close to home.  

Today we went out and drilled awhile.  It was a bit chilly this morning.  Then we came in and listen to a lecture on the present war problem.  We have small lecture like that every day now.  Then today as you will know by this time when this hit you way were shelling that Japan island with no return of fire.  I think this stuff will end in a very short time.  I think they will put a bunch of guy across and it won't give them a chance to move at all.  Any time is ok with me to get this over.  

The mailing system has been a bit poor, I received the letter of the 3rd from you Sat evening before I went to Macon.  Then this morning ( or last night) there was 2 letter under my pillow that a hid got for me.  So when I was gone and put them under my pillow.  The one was the 2nd and 4th.  Then this afternoon I got the one of the 5th.  So I think I will run through them again and answer questions.  

To go on another subject before them letter I will mention my money problem.  I am not sending any home this month because I mad them 2 trips up to Macon and then I will draw a small check on account of that money I am sending home each month on that allotment.  That start on this month.  I don't know if you will get it the first of March or it you will have to wait till the first of April.  The only thing I can say it is going out of this pay and it may take a month to start out.  You know how I mean.  

Ted mention to me about you not being home when he called.  He didn't mention about being mad but he said that he thought that daddy would probably blow up.  I can see him now how and what he said when you came home that evening.  Well I don't call for a while now because what I told you in that letter I wrote from Macon.  But when the time come short I will try and call you and I will leave you know what time it will be.  

I am glad to hear that V got the P fix.  Don't get the wrong idea that I didn't want him to use the C.

Ted will get paid either the 10th or the 15th of this month.  He won't need more becuase he won't go to town because he will hit the bed early and there isn't that much he can spend his money in the field for.  The have the show and the PX etc but that don't take so much money.  I ask him if he wanted any money but he said he didn't spend any since last week.  

February 8, 1944 @ 7:45 PM

I am ok again tonight and just came from the show.  They showed the picture "Happy Go Lucky".  It is an old picture which is shown again.  But it was worth seeing again.  

This morning we went out on the drill field again but it started to rain so we had a fairly nice and easy because they told us to come back to the barrack.  I got a little sack time.  

Then this afternoon we went on a hike.  I guess we went about 10 miles.  The only trouble was the guy in front was tall and he walked fairly fast.  Because I would sooner do something like that instead of drilling on the field.  We got back about 4 PM.

Tomorrow morning I go on kapee.  I got to work all day.  Then I have the next day completely off.  I guess it won't be that bad.  I should be able to rest up.  We got rid of our steady kapee because we were supposed to move and then the 1st sgt hated to ask for money from us if them guy would only work a week or so.  But I don't mind it that much.  

I want to go over and get me a pt of ice cream and a coke.  We had a poor supper so I got to have something before I go to bed.  

They put you where ever they want you now and taht is infantry.  

On them picture that we had taken that thing takes everything backward.  All them cheap camera take picture backward.  Don't look at them pictures too close.  

So Bob M is coming home before long.  That is one guy you know we have stayed about together on rating, etc.  But one thing he isn't ahead of me on rating.  

Not to say anything wrong but on this letter you typed out you forgot to sign it.  I think both of us is losing our minds.  But don't think nothing wrong.  

Well here it is Thursday morning and I am mailing this.  I worked KP all day yesteray so I didn't get a chance to mail this.  So I will write again tonight with love.  Wes

February 10, 1944

Here it is Thursday evening and I had the whole day off and I am feeling fine.  The only thing I done was to take a fitness test this morning.  It was to see how fast we could run 300 yards and how many could sit up and pull up.  

This afternoon everybody went out on a hike and of course I worked kapee yesterday and I had the day off.  So I set in and wrote to Elmer Noud and Larry Wand.  

You mention about taking them picture down to have reprinted.  Well listen them was a poor and cheap picture taken and the next time I go up there I and Ted will have a good one made at the studio at the "Wagon Wheel".  But don't spend too much money on that because you can't do nothing with a cheap picture.

Friday evening 6:55 PM and I am sill ok.

The weather today hasn't been so good.  In fact nearly all day it has been raining.  This morning we went out and drilled our 1 hour as required.  Then came back in and listen to a lecture.  It started to rain then and never quit all day.  And the way it looks now probably all night yet.  

A day like today you sit on your bed and I have two windows to look out easy and think what you wouldn't give to be a 4F or out of the army.  Then I pick up your picture then another thousand things run through your mind.  (if I had one).  But what can a person do.  Don't get the wrong idea that I am mad now because I ain't.  It just things you think of and how long you been in here and how much longer it will take before you get out.  

I got my laundry back this morning so I have a few clean pieces now.  I don't think I mentioned it to you or not but yesterday I got my salvage back 2 new pair of socks and cotton drawers.

I don't know but I still don't think I will go to Macon this weekend.  But if it turns out nice tomorrow I may try and get a pass the last minute and go.  W&S

We didn't GI the barrack because the mud outside, etc.  So I guess in the morning we will just mop.  I got to shave yet and shine all my shoes tonight.  

The latest rumor out of the latrine is that our outfit is being busted up.  I don't believe it but it is wait and see.

Here it is Sat. morning and 11 AM and feeling fine.  We had our inspection  this morning and the rest of the da off.  

It sure is cold this morning and I don't mean maybe.  I was going to stay here today but as you know I never know from one day to the other so I am going up today again.  You keep talking about them picture so Ted and I will try and get a good one made.  I don't know how the weather is with you but if it is in proportion to us it isn't warm at home.  

I took them 3 picture out and had to look them over.  I sure think they are good of all of you.  

I don't think Ted and I will do much if it is this cold but I will anyhow see him.  Then I am sure I won't go up next week.  This will make the 3rd week straight now.  To my opinion if we don't move out this next week we will stay here for awhile.  

February 14, 1944 @ 8:05 PM

Here I am again on this Monday and Valentine Day and feeling fine.  If it is the kind of weather home that is here I don't think honeyboy will have a very good night to go out.  

Well I made the trip again this last week and I enjoyed it.  It was a bit cool but I still had a nice trip.  I left here the same time 10:45 PM.  Got a hair cut and went to a show before I went Saturday night.  I hit there at 4:45 AM.  We got a few miles outside of Maon and I was sleeping on the bus and all of a sudden I woke up.  Then I looked out the window and there was a bunch of guy on a march on the highway.  After I het the camp I heard they were on a twenty mile hike.  So I guess that took the biggest part of their day up.  One thing I know they had to keep on the move to keep warm.

Ted was kind of surprised to see me this week because I told him I wasn't coming.  But to tell you the only main thing I went was to get some decent picture made of Ted and me.  So we had some made to don't worry about them other in fact that I would just as soon see you get rid of them all together.  These here should be pretty good.  (anyhow I am hoping so).

I stayed in camp with Ted all day because it was too cold to go to town.  In the morning they had to roll their full field pack.  He tried it couple times then finally I rolled a good one for him.  Then their Sgt gave them a lecture about being too slow on doing anything.  That was the reason they had to do that Sunday morning.  Then this one Cpl in the barrack started to talk to me and we went in his room and spread the s--- together about the army, etc.  Then the Cpl told me they he would take me up to the mess hall and eat.  We walked in the back door and we ate first.  We ate with white plates (first time since Nov. 1942).  They gave me 4 nice slices of ham, mashed potatoes (cream with butter) and then we had buns and ice cream.  Cocoa was on teh table for a drink.  We really had it nice or I mean the non-com there had it easy.  I really enjoyed the meal there.  

Then in the afternoon I shaved and took Ted new tie and we went up to get our picture taken.  Then we had them taken and drank a code and I got on the bus at 3:15PM and just made the bus station in time for Savannah.  But I made everything ok.  I sure hope you will like these pictures.  Ted is going to do the picking out of them so if he picks a poor one you will have to blame him.  One thing another way you got to look at is one them I hope turn out good.  All I can say I will wait and see what you say about them.  I sure hope you will like it.  

This morning we went out and drilled but for only a half hour.  Then it started to rain.  So we came back and signed the payroll.  Now this month the allotment is being taken out.  This month I am getting paid for the 7 day that I was home.  It was counted as a furlough.  We get paid 67 cents a day for 7 days.  So that will help out my pay this month.  When I was with Ted I ask him how his money was holding out and he was broke so I gave him 5 dollars to go on.  I think we will be leaving this field this week end.  I am not for sure but I have a feeling we will.  That is another reason I wanted to go this last Sunday becuase I had a feeling we wouldn't get out this week.  If we stayed here this week end I expect to stay here another month.  But I think this week is the moving for us.  Will leave you know more about it as the week goes on.  

February 15, 1944

This afternoon it was still raining and I was tired so I went to sleep.  They left us sleep all afternoon for a change.  I woke up at 3PM and I was sure surprised to see everybody was laying around.  I thought maybe I missed a formation but everybody said there wasn't any.  All I can say is that I needed the sleep and I really felt good when I woke up.  Now I am worried about getting to sleep tonight.  

It sure is raining yet.  I hope it keeps it up tomorrow so I can get some more sak time in.  

I got honey boy valentine last night.  Tell him thanks and I am is valentine.  I got one from Jr. W today too.

I guess V is back to the old plade now in the old grind stone again.  I hope he get a good break out of it.  

You ask me how I really think Ted is getting along.  Well he is doing ok so far.  I told him a few thinks what to do about his foot and ear.  So far they haven't done much but listen to lecture.  He looks good.  He is still slow like he was.  

I sure wish Jr. Blines would have landed here.  Because I sure would like to see him.  Maybe if he is going across soon he may pick up his new plane here then he may hunt me up.  Because this is where a lot of flyer pick up their new planes.  

Here I am again Tuesday morning (6:40) and I got my bed made up and the floor mopped and so I got to finish this letter before 8 AM.  To tell you the truth I want to get some more sak time in too.  The way I hear this morning that hey pick up the 93rd passes at the gate last night.  So maybe this will be our last week here.  

This morning the skies are clear and the moon shinning.  So I guess the rain is finish for awhile.  It is fairly war out too.  

I am looking for a letter from you this morning.  I didn't get one last night.  The think that make it slow was the rain.  Because every time it rain then the mail is slow.  

February 16, 1944 @ 8:30PM

Still feeling fine and again it is raining but it is fairly warm.  This morning we went out and drilled again for an hour.  Came back and listen to a lecure.  Then this afternoon we went out for a hike and we got out about 3 or 4 miles and it started to rain a litt.e  It has been raining ever since.  We got a bit wet but just as long as the officers got wet I did not mind it at all.  Our CO today got promoted to the rank of Major.  He was a Captian.  I hear he is 52 years old.  But he is still pretty young.  You will get a kick out of this and I got to mention it.  He had his first kid about a month ago.  Don't ask me how old his wife is because I don't know.  Then tonight I was going to start writing to you and one of the kids came down that use to be in this sqd and so I just go back from the service club with him.  

This morning I got your letter that you mailed on the 14th.  That was a good mail service, I think.  Now I won't get any till tomorrow noon or evening.  

Today Ted was supposed to see the proof of our picture.  I sure hope they turn out good.  I am looking for a letter from him Friday morning wiht the results in it.  

Tomorrow we have another party.  We are having it in the service club this time.  I don't know how it will turn out.  Tell you later.  

On V and D I really can't tell you if it is love or not but he has got it bad.  Listen if I ever get that way I want you to hit me over the head with a ball bat.  

You mention about me laying around when it rains.  Well we really haven't a thing to get out in it for.  But with Ted and his pack.  I don't know what he told you or anyting like that but his pack (the one I seen) doesn't weigh no 70 pounds.  He has his rain coat, and his tent half, then a shovel.  I don't know how much it weighs.  Well his gun weighs 11 lbs.  Everybody get the steel helmet now.  At first you only got them at POE but now you get them right away.  It isn't that bad yet with Ted and to tell you the truth I think he feels good and i am sure he isn't homesick.  He say the last 3 weeks has sure flew.  

I will say too one thing that they have flew for me.  I am out of camp Sat & Sun and traveling to Macon then the other five goes in a big hurry.  It seem like yesterday when I made that trip but here it is Wed evening.  I enjoyed the trip and I think it helped Ted out a little over the week end.  So I am doing all I can to make him happy.  If you know anything else I coudl do leave me know and I sure will.  To tell you the honest truth I think he is ok and don't worry.  I am not going to write tomorrow because it is Thursday night and you won't get it till Monday morning so I wll wait till Friday and another think we are going to have that party.

February 17, 1944 @ 6:55AM

I am feeling fine this morning and just finished fixing up my bed and mopping the floor.  I wasn't able to write last night because the last minute I decided I would go to town.  I got dressed about 6PM and then we was playing another sqd on the field a basked ball game.  So I was watching that game the first half and into town to see a play that was being put on.  

The seats cost us $1.65 but the play was good so I didn't mind it so much.  I got the heading, etc on a paper that they always give you at the door.  I will send that home.  I got in camp at 11:30PM last night so I hit the sack.  I cut out a piece on the rain we had the other day so you can see we had enough for one day.  

They picked up our passes again last night but the only reason they are doing that is to find the guys with more than one pass. I don't think we will move out this week end either. 
I got the letter you wrote Saturday.  I mention we were a bit cool but nothin compared to 10 below.  

So honey boy is enjoying his sled ridging again.  

February 18, 1944 @ 8:10PM

Here it is another Friday evening and I am feeling fine.  Well yesterday we went out and drilled a hour and came back and listened to a lecture.  Then it started to rain a little so instead of leaving us lay in our sack they made us clean our gun.  Last night we had another party and it was better than I expected.  We had the service club again.  We served chili and beer in the mess hall first.  

This morning we went out on some extended order drill.  They had a water tank about a half mile from the gate that was supposed to be the objective.  IT was just the kid days when you played cop and robber. 

This after noon we went on another trip and we sure had a nice one.  We went across country part way.  We did not stay on the road at the time.  I like the way we done today lots better.  The only thing we run into a little mud.  It sure was hot.  The sun was shining a bit bright and I had a small hole in the back of my jacket and it turned my skin red.  I rolled up my sleeves a bit and they are red some too.  I sure should be able to get a sun tan this year.  

Last night I was sitting here and figuring up how long I have been here at Hunter Field.  I have stayed here just as long as any field now.  I spent 6 months in Laredo and 6 months here already.  The time is sure flying for me.  I hope it keeps it up this way.  

I went to a USO show tonight at the theater.  It was free like all of them.  The name was "Whistling in the Dark".  It was  more on a play this time.  It was worth while going to though.  I was something different.  

You mention about M. Harrison not getting paid what she thought she was supposed to get.  The government I just don't like so good, because a couple guy been hooked out of money here.  Too much business and if they make a slip you can't do nothing about it.  That is one reason I would just as well see you do what you want to with those bonds.  

In your letter of 16th you mention about getting the letter from Ted for socks.  He sent them to the laundry and they sure went down in size.  

On V heading for Corpus Christi well you know that isn't such a bad place.  Nice town in size anyhow.  But I can't tell you nothing about the destroyers because I don't know anything about them.  But he will probably set around writing for the ship and then take a little training then.  In St. Louis he would have met up with mine layers.  They build them right behind Jefferson Barracks.  I guess the destroyer would be the best set up.  Don't take me by my word because I don't know that much about the navy problem.  

You mention about having this sqd busted up.  Well if we did I would bet 9 out of 10 we would (or I) get a dirtier end of it.  I think it is really the best set up this way. 
was was going to tell you about the allotment but I see you got the notice.  I made it out for 45 a month and I think I can make it on the rest.  If I dont' I know how to get it.  If I stay in the army very long and I go where there won't be much I should grow up in pretty good back account and I should have a little to start out on.  

Well Eggerson were sure lucky to get home together.  He sure looks like the same old guy.  

TOday was our readiness date again.  I haven't hear anything about it yet.  So I don't know if it will be set back or not.  But all I can say is that we will spend at least a week on the road.  Don't worry about the allotment 

If I don't hear anything about moving I am staying here this week end.  We have the regular inspection tomorrow morning.  If I hear anything I am pulling out again this week end.  

I was looking for a letter from Ted on account of those pictures but I didn't get any.

February 19, 1944 @ 7:30PM

Here I am this Sat. night and setting in the barrack.  It started out raining and I finally decided not to go any place today.  I could have went plenty easy but I thought I better stay here and do a bit of odds and ends that I should do.  The Captain this morning told us that we should mail anything home that we wanted to.  He has been telling us that for the last two months so I think I will go through all my mail, etc. and get rid of the stuff I don't need.  Then my small bag and I believe my slippers I will send home at first to see where we do land up at.  The latest I hear is that we will pull out this next week.  But that is only a rumor as far as I know.  But if I hear anything the next couple days I will leave you know.  

There is a guy that is taking his camera across and he can't get films.  So I want you to get some films for me.  Send me about 3 rolls right away.  The size is 127.  He has a good camera and may be we will be able to get some good pictures.  This guy is head of our section (armor) and that way I will be able to get some from him too.  If they don't cost too much send them first class mail.  If you please.  That will take a week to make the round trip with this letter and that is along way off now way everything is happening.  Then if we do move out some time soon and we get across a nice place where we can take pictures I am going to write for some more.  Because you can't find films around here at all.  

This morning we had inspection and then we went out and had our picture taken.  It was a group picture.  I don't know if any of us can have them but if we can I will send it home.  But I don't think we will be able to have any.  

I didn't get no letter from Ted yet.  I don't know what is wrong.  Maybe they are putting him through the dew now. 

I understand about Aunt Kate and Annie.  Another way I thought I could tell you where I was at was to go and by latitude and longitude.  This will take a couple months because it will take some time to find out the exact place.  And probably take that long to get there.  The first several letters I write the fist paragraph will have the same about of words in it.  That will be the latitude.  Then for a couple more I will write the on guide.  Then i will still use the other one on the side line.  Keep them all for awhile because it may take a little planning between them to come out right.  Me an you may not have the same ida on that.  So you may have to use your had and something else to make it out.  

Well I guess you will hear about the Texas weather again.  Maybe it won't be long and I may be writing about Calif. weather.  

There are no more new sqd formed on this field.  The only thing that they have coming in now is this combat crew that fly out here.  They come in here for a day or so then take out.  There is no mare Adrm. Sqd formed at all in the USA.  There are 4 on this field and they are the last ones to be made up.  And they are all with ready to move out.  I don't know what they will do with the field but maybe they will close it up.

The main idea is to get everybody across now and close most of these camps up so the only ones they have left is the one for basic training and then send them across.   Anybody that can pass a over-sea exam will be sent across.  I think that is the only way to get it finish is to walk in.  That would be like Russia.  She got enough and nothing is stopping her.  The air force got all the men they need.  Enough to last for this whole war.  

Well all that I can say it won't be much longer.  I think when we go across we will have a fairly good set up.  We will go to a field and work.  Unless something goes wrong.  But I mean to look on the good side we have a field the thing we got to do is to take care of the planes that land there.  Really mother from the bottom of my heart I think we will be just as good off as anybody across.  I don't want you to worry about it because if we wasn't a sqd we may be put any place.  As I said before.  We are the last sqd to be formed in the USA.  They got enough now made up so they don't put any more in the air forces.  

February 22, 1944 @ 6:30PM

Here is another Tuesday and feeling fine and just wonder how many more I will be here.  I think it will be one more but I doubt very much if it will be two.  Today it is sure nice weather and a person sure can't complain.  

This morning we went out and drilled an hour as always. Came back in and had another lecture.  Then they put up the list for us to ride on the train.  The way we wanted to ride we didn't get.  So I don't know how it will turn out.  Tell you more on that subject later.  

This afternoon we had another clothing inspection.  This is the last one for sure, they way they say.  We get one more out at POE.  It took all afternoon and we set on our bottoms doing nothing.  I thought sure they would leave us out drilling while they check our clothes.  But we had it easy.  

Tonight I didn't feel like going any place at all.  I was first going in to town and then I decided not.  Then to the show.  Well here I am in the barrack and believe I will stay here.  

On them induction lists you sent.  They sure are taking lots of them now.  You know we had a couple guy that was sweeping out the 38 year limit.  Now they raised it to 45 and they sure was mad.  

The way you talk about the snow going away now will kind of wreck honey boy sled riding.  

You mention about V being in Corpus Christi.  Well I was talking to a guy here and he said they make destroyers down there some place.  But as I said if he would have went to St. Louis I don't think he would have had such a good break.  Because a destroyer is better than a min layer to my opinion.  I can't say for sure but that is what I think.  A destroyer is so much faster and better all the way around.  But I think he will pick up his ship there in a course of time.  Now I don't want you to get scared over the idea because I thought I would rite just what I thought.  

If everything keeps up the way it is going I still hope to go to Macon this week.

One of the main things I nearly forgot.  I mentioned about taking them pictures of the sqd.  Well today we were able to sign up for them.  It is costing us a dollar.  So I signed up for one.  It sure gives a poor picture of me and I don't mean maybe.  I sure had a face on me.  I don't know what I was smelling but I sure had my face pulled up.  I am setting right next to Schlinkman from Quincy.  Then another thing I am a head higher than anybody around.  Well I hope you like it better than I do.  The picture is about 10' by 24' long.  

February 21, 1944 @ 7:30PM

I am feeling fine again this Monday evening and sure hope the same for everyone at home.  The weather today was very nice out side and in fact tonight it is a bit warm inside the barrack.

Tonight I want to write 4 letters.

We had another lecture today and the Captain told us a few things.  So I will pass them to you.  We will not leave any time this week but it will be the beginnin of next week sometime.  Because our supply room will try and close Sat.  The captain said we could write the last day we are here and it wouldn't be censored.  So the last letter you get from here will be the day I leave here.  Then it will be a week to my idea that we will be on the road before you get the next one.  He told us we would stop twice a day to take exercises.  Another thing he said we could go and get in the car with same bunch.  So we wrote out a slip and the old gang is going in the same car together.  That will make the trip a bit more interesting, because you will (have an idea anyhow) how tired a person will get being on a train for a week.  We are not allowed to get off at all.  I will leave you know each day as it goes along how everything is going.  I can't say for sure but I know if I am able to get out this week at all I will go to Macon again to see Ted.  I am not sure if I can get out or not But if I do I sure am going.

Another thing they are paying us before we leave.  So I won't have to worry about money problem.  That five I loaned Ted he may want to pay it back.  If he does I am going to have him send it home.  Because it may chase me over the whole country.  

I sure would like to see Jr. Blines but I don't think he will land here.  He may but I don't know how it would go with all the big boy to land at this field just to see me.  Maybe they don't care.  

Today I was thinking and I think I will go and take my slippers with me.  That handbag that I had to come home with I decided to keep and maybe I can take it with me and it will come in handy.  A buddy that sleeps next to me is taking a leather one and moine only cost half as much as his did so I can't lose much.  I paid 2.25 for it and used it twice to come home with.  It won't break me if I lose it.  

Yesterday morning I gut up about 8:30AM and I got up and ate breakfast and it cost me 65 cents for it.  I had ham and eggs, tomato juice, milk, toast, etc.  

Then in the afternoon I went to the show and then I laid around for while then in the evening me and another kid we dicided to go to church.  We didn't feel like going here on the field so we went into town and went to the 1st Baptist church.  It sure was a nice big church and I was really suprised to see such a few guys (GI).  There wasn't over 12 GI in the whole church.  There were about 200 there.  There sure were nice to us.  Came up and shook hands and told us to come back again.  I will put the paper in this letter if it doesn't weight too much.  

February 23, 1944 @ 8:40

Here it is another Wed. night.  I am feeling fine again for tonight I believe to myself that this time next week I will be on the train heading for California.  Not to keep reminding you of it but I just keep on thinking of it.  

This morning we went out and drilled again.  Then we came back and they told us how they wanted us to carry our pack.  As you know we won't be able to wash any of our clothes and the train are a bit dirty.  So we are taking our field pack and put a pair one piece coveralls in there and after I get on the train that is what I am going to wear.  Then I will take a clean pair of shorts and also couple pairs of socks.  That should make the trip ok (I hope).  This afternoon we had another physical inspection.  They just looked us over.  That about all.  

I got a letter from Virgil this morning and he gave me his address and said he thought he would like it there.  He mentioned about getting 6 night out of 7 off to town and 3 out of 4 week end passes.  Well that will be ok but I just wonder how far his money is going to travel and how much he will save?  (if any).

The weather here is sure getting hot.  Today it was a bit warm and my face show it again tonight.  Well it won't be long and you will know if I can tan or not.  

There has been no mosquitos yet but just give them time.  It won't be long.  

Where the next 6 month be I sure don't know.  Probably one of them will be in California.  It will be 18 months before I go across.  You know I always said I would o to Calif.  and the way the things look I am heading for there.  They said today we may get a 24 hour pass.  Well if I am any way close to a town I am taking off.  See that wonderful California.  

Tell honey boy thanks for his long letter.  The flashlight I don't want at all.  It isn't that good and I am getting a new one.  

I got a letter from Ted and he said the picture turned out good.  He got one 5" by 7" I believe.  I hope I can see it Sun. when I go up there if I can get a pass.  

February 24, 1944 @ 8:35PM

Here I am this Thursday and still feeling fine.  I was thinking tonight it has been one month that received a letter from Ted saying he was at Macon.  I thought that would be my last week here and now the fourth one has gone by.  But I really do think I will be next week.  Just like Elmer Noud said in his last letter.  He said I don't think I would ever move.  He said that is all I was writing about for the last two months.  But it does seem that way because the time has passed and I am still here.  

This morning when we got up it sure was warm.  I thought it would rain.  We no more then got back in the barrack and we had a down pour for just couple minutes.  It is getting summer again and that what happens here every day.  We had our drilling again for an hour and came back in had another lecture.  The afternoon we went and turned in salvage.  I turned in another pair of shorts and sun tan hat.  Then we had a football game and then an hour of exercises.  

Today the captain told us that we were getting sun glasses at POE.  Then we would get mosquito net, etc.  I think we will go to Ft. Mason.  I am not sure but I believe it.  Anyway it will be around there anyhow.  I will try and leave you know.  

Then tonight the 1st sgt told us we had to have our stripes on everything we own.  So I got to put them on everything.  I tacked a pair on the other day and I finished them tonight.  Then I sewed up my work pants pocket.  I lost 2 combs, etc before I kjnow I had a hole in it.  I sure wish you could sew them on.  I know you could do it 5 times faster than I do.  But this is the army now so I will learn how.  I guess it won't hurt me.  

Our CO didn't pass out cigar on that occasion.  He did to all the brass hats but not us.  

February 26, 1944 @ 9 AM

I am again writing the Sat. Morning and feeling fine.  We just finished the inspection again and off.  I am heading for Macon this week again.  This will be the last week.  We are leaving some time Wednesday in the moon.  That is the hint they gave us and I know by a better means.  So I guess it will be the day.  

I got to go and wash some of my clothes now before I go.  Because the next chance I go is Monday evening.  

I didn't write last night because I didn't know anything yet about the pass.  Then another main thing was that I had a headache and I went to bed fairly early.  We went on a nice trip with full field pack.  And of course it is getting warmer every day now down here and then we wore our steel helmet.  And I am not used to that steel helmet.  

So, Jr. W. got sworn into the army.  You know that kid is sure going to be lucky if he get a chance to go to cadet.  Because I will tell you a think that happened here day before yesterday.  We had 210 men came in here that was sworn in cadets.  So then they told them they had to go to mechanic school.  They went to mechanic school for 2 weeks at Kelly Field, Miss. and was taken out of there and they sent them here.  Here they will be put on the line for a very short time and sent across as replacement.  These guys are really mad and don't think for once they ain't.  Can you blame them?  I am hoping he won't get hooked that way.  

On the letter of the 23rd you mention about the films.  Well if can't get any now it will be ok.  But if you don't mind I would like for you to send me about 3 rolls or two whenever you get a chance.  Just send them on.  They will follow me up.  This guy has 3 rolls now but that will take 48 pictures and that will last for a few days.  But in time to come they will come in handy.  And if we hit a place that is nice I would like a few pictures.  Because I think for a while at first we will get some more good line service at one of these big bases.  Bur I tink we will land up in China when it comes to the end.  I don't know but that is my opinion.  It will be 6 months.  

I am going to send a Class A "T.S." card home.  I don't think you know what it is but I will try and describe it to you.  You know all of us guys at some time get mad about something.  Then we go around here griping, etc.  Then somebody will pipe up and say "Tough S---".  So that is a "T.S." card.  We had a bunch of them in the sqd and I have one.  So I thought I would send it home and you can keep it.  They don't mean a thing so don't get the wrong impression from what you read.  Then when somebody is fussing around about something somebody will holler out and tell them to get his TS ticket punched.  I hope I made it clear as mud to you.  

The "T.S." Card.  (Tough Shit)

February 28, 1944 @ 10AM

Here it is Monday morning and I am feeling fine.  We went out and drilled a bit this morn and came back in.  Then we had a meeting and they told us to turn in all our old clothes.  We had to take the stripes off and the emblem, etc.  So I guess now we are restricted.  We turned in our blouse, etc.  

I went to Macon and had another nice trip.  I left there at 4PM.  In the morning they had to go out for a lecture on rifle firing because they start it today.  Then I went to sleep on his bed.  I slept for nearly 2 hours.  Then Ted came in and I didn't feel like eating so I slept while he went and ate.  They had fried chicken.  So I missed something for a change.  But sleep was more important.  The traveling was sure heavy coming back on the bus.  But I was lucky and I had a seat all the way.  The only reason I had a seat because Macon is where the bus starts out at.  

I got in last night (Sun) and I had the films already then.  I had a letter from you 25th (Fri) and also one from Larry.  Maybe I told you already.  So you won't have to worry about films because I will write for them.  You can get coupe more but don't send them until I ask for them.  I can ask for them in the mail.  They won't cut it out.  One of our Captains is taking his motion picture outfit with him.  He has 1000 ft. of film now and having more sent later.  So we will take plenty of pictures if there is any.  Talking about picture bring another thing to my mind that I hate.  The sqd picture we were getting can't be gotten.  The locked the negative up and so we are out of luck.  But there is nothing we could do about it.  

Yesterday we got the picture of Ted and I.  It was fairly good but my face is so full.  I didn't think I was that full face.  So I hope you like it.  Then another one of the proof was fairly good too.  So you can see for yourself.  

About Aunt Kate, well I don't know how she will come out in Calif. leaving but I am leaving here Wed.  The other end I can't say because I can't tell.  

Our APO cards will be sent from here about 3 days after we leave here.  So you should get my card about the time I hit there.  On the trip out there again I went and changed with another kid so I think now I have the best car of them all.  I am in the same one as Schlinkman and most of the armors.  

Elmor asked for a picture of me.  He said he would send me one back.  Listen the next time you write him mention to him that and I wanted a picture of him in my book.  So pick out a camera shot of me and send it.  

We have sqd meeting at 12:30.

February 29, 1844 @ 6:40 AM

I am feeling fine this morning and just finished making my bed.  This morning is one more closer to moving.  Tomorrow will be the last one.  It is rain a bit now out side.  I hope it keep it up so we get the day easy.  Our 1st sgt said about the only thing we would do if anything would be detail work.  So I am watching myself and going to try to stay out of them.  This morning I went to go and send my package home.  I am sending only my gloves & OD hat (cap).  Then I am sending them medals they issued to me.  

Last night I didi all my washing so I didn't get much time at all.  So now so far I have all clean clothes.  I wash out my barrack bag and cleaned out all the stuff I didn't need.  So I found this note book and it had a few notes in it about armorment work.  But if they don't have them in our tech. order book I am not going to worry at all.  So I thought I would use it for writing with now. 

You mention about getting cinders in the alley.  Well on the corner of a lot I would get a nice post and set it up.  So the neighbor could bump in it and not the garage.  But I would put a big enough one so he would know when he hit it.  

Bob is right becuase Salt Lake is a poor place.  But I don't think he will stay there very long.

You mention also about the shot.  Well that is one thing you are never finished with.  You get them at least every 6 months.  You always get a booster on all the shots.

Going across the country I don't think we will go across the southern point at all.  I think we will go across St. Louis then out.  That is what I believe.  I don't know for sure but I will have to wait and see.  

I forgot the main thing for today.  That is the eagle s--- again.

February 29, 1944 @ 8:40PM

Here I am this Tuesday evening and feeling fine and sure hope the same for all at home.

This is our last night I guess here.  We got paid today and I got about 20 bucks counting the ration from the furlough.  Then I got in a small card game and I won about 5 bucks.  So I am 5 bucks to the good.  

Today we didn't do much but had a sand storm all day.  It was about as bad as Texas.  

I seen a piece in the paper about the place where Bill D. is at so I cut it out and though I would send it home.  Then if you wnat to tell Mrs. Daniel you can.  The only thing about Bill he is permanent party there.  He won't leave them at all.  

You mention about K and making 109 a week.  You know I would not mind having a job like that for a year or so.  A person could watch his self and could save enough for later on.  Plus what his wife is making he should be doing ok.  

Well I haven't much more to say for tonight but I will finish it tomorrow and send it home.  

I wrote to Bill and Carl.  I want to write to V and T yet if I get time.  Then I want to go over and try for a phone call.  You will know if I can or not get it through by now.  

Wednesday afternoon and about 3:30 PM and still feeling fine.  We loaded the train and I only got a few minutes more.  So I thought I would end this now. 

I was glad to call last night and sorry it was so long but the time sure flew.  I would have paid for the call but I didn't have enough change to do it.  So you can take it out of my money.  I thought it would be nice to talk to you for a change.

Well I better end for now from Hunter Field for the last time and I don't want you to worry about me.  So I hope to be hearing from you then out in CAlifornia.  

If I go across right away it won't be long until I will be back.  But remember I am not gone yet.  

So for now I will sign out with loads and loads of love and remember each night.


PS - I am growing the brush under my nose again going out to California.  So if I can take a picture of it I will - 3:40 PM.