Thiemann Family History
Thiemann family has a long history in Quincy
Article by Carl Landrum. Photograph and material furnished by David Kroner, great-grandson of Anna Thiemann Stallmann
Among the many German immigrants coming to Quincy in the 1860s was Gerhard Christopher Thiemann.
Gerhard was born Feb. 9, 1899, the son of Bernhard and Anna Thiemann. To avoid the Germany army, Gerhard left Germany in March of 1866 and arrived in New York on April 18, 1866, when he was 18 years old. His two brothers, Bernard and Henry, also migrated to America at an early age and somehow all of them settled in Quincy.
Berard J. Thiemann was married to Mary Ann Kalmer and lived at 923 Jefferson. There were eight children. Bernard and his son, Henry, ran a harness show in Quincy at 628 Hampshire called "B. Thiemann & Son" from 1881 to 1910. The younger Henry married Josephine Kriegshauser and lived at 1009 Jersey. They had three children, Ralph, Florence and Estelle.
In 1913 Henry became sole owner of the shop and ran it until March of 1923. He then organized the Quincy Leather Co. He was president and manager of Quincy Leather, located at 323 Hampshire, when he died in 1929. After Henry died, his wife and son, Ralph, took over the business. They ran the business until the early 1960s when Ralph's son, Ralph Jr., became a partner. In the 1960s Quincy Leather and Hardware moved to 617 S. Eighth, later expanding even further, to 609 S. Eighth.
Gerhard's other brother, the elder Henry Thiemann, married Mary Dunker, and lived at 1109 Adams. After her death he married Fredericka Averbeck who already had children, Leo, Roman and Carl. They lived at 1340 N. 10th. Gerhard's sister, Gerturde, married Bertram Aalbers in Germany, and came to Quincy in 1869. There were five children, Elizabeth, Anna, Sister Andrina, Henry and Bernard E.
Henry Aalbers lived at 1310 N. Eighth, and owned and operated Aalbers Market at 300 S. Fifth for many years. When he retired, his sons, Maurice and Arthur, took over the business.
Gerhard Thiemann met Mary Pleymann (or Plieman) in Quincy and they were married May 27, 1879. Mary and her sister were born in St. Louis but came to Quincy at a young age to live with relatives, as both their parents had died.
Gerhard and Mary Thiemann had five children, Elizabeth, Anna, Agnes, Henry and Herman. Elizabeth never married and lived with her sister Anna, at 1219 N. 11th, until her sister Agnes' husband (John Eising) died. Then she moved in with Agnes at 1029 N. 11th to help care for the children.
Gerhard and Mary's second child was Anna, born Jan. 1, 1885. Anna attended St. John's School and later owned and operated the Quincy Umbrella Factory at 607 Main. The owner of the shop had died and willed the shop to Anna. Then Anna and her sisters, Elizabeth, or "Lizzie", and Agnes, ran the shop.
On June 6, 1906, Anna bought a house at 1219 N. 11th from Benjamin Vasen, who owned and operated Peoples Saving, Loan and Building Association at 517 Maine.
Anna was a good friend of Rose Altmix, and Rose introduced her to her brother, Joseph Stallmann of St. Louis. Anna and Joseph fell in love and were married Jan. 10, 1917, in St. John's Church at 6AM. They were both 32 years old. After the wedding a breakfast was served at 7:30 and at 10:47AM they took the "K" line train to St. Louis. Upon returning to Quincy, the newlyweds lived at 1219 N. 11th and Anna still worked in the umbrella and parasol business, but worked out of her home.
Joseph and Anna Stallmann had five children, Elvira, who married Cyril J. Zehnle; Hilda, who married Leroy Nelson; Robert; Florence (Flo), who married Nelson Freels; and Jim.
About 1938-39 Joseph and Anna and their children moved to a larger house at 437 N. Ninth. This house had been built by Frank Tubbesing in 1898 for Albert and Amelia Evers. A short time later Mr. Evers died, leaving Mrs. Evers with the big house. Joseph purchased the house for about $4000.
The whole family loved the house as it was so much larger than their other house. This was the family home for many years.
Joseph Stallmann died Feb. 28, 1964. Anna continued to live int he house until July 31, 1967, when she moved to St. Vincent's Home. She died Aug. 21, 1967.
The photograph and much of the material for this article were furnished by David Kroner, great-grandson of Anna Thiemann Stallmann.
The Quincy Umbrella Factory, 607 Maine, about 1906. The women closest to the camera is Anna Thiemann.